False beliefs like “I don’t have time for keto meal prep” can be our biggest downfall. It’s one of the most popular justifications for not staying on track. But does low carb cooking really have to take all day? Nope! Let’s talk about attitudes, convenient short-cuts, and easy keto meal prep tips you can use to help you stay on track.
10 Keto Meal Prep Tips
Follow a Weekly Routine – Having “Taco Tuesday” or “Pizza Friday” on a routine basis takes away the guesswork of what to eat for dinner. Keto meal prep becomes automatic. Plus, establishing a routine meal holds you accountable to yourself and your family.
2. Schedule a Date to Grocery Shop – Plan your shopping trip on the same day/time each week. Knowing when the right foods will be purchased reduces any anxiety about having ingredients for meals on hand. Using your favorite DIRTY, LAZY, KETO cookbook as a guide, reduce impulse shopping and make a targeted list of what’s really needed from the store.
Inside The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO 5-Ingredient Cookbook, I share my personal list of “pantry staples” – essential low carb ingredients I use most often in my keto meal prep. Do you need a free starter keto grocery list? Be sure to sign up for my FREE keto newsletter – the first issue includes a starter keto shopping list.
3. Make-Ahead-Monday – Make low carb meals early in the week that can be “reinvented” into another meal, like on Tuesday and Wednesday. No one will notice this keto meal prep tip (aka leftovers) in disguise.
5. Instant-Veggies? Buy pre-washed, fresh vegetables sold in ready-to-cook packaging. Toss the bag directly into the microwave. Genius! This has to be my favorite keto meal prep tip.
6. Ask for Help! Enlist (or assign) family members or roommates to participate in keto meal prep, taking some of the kitchen duty burdens off of you.
7. Double it up – When you make your favorite meal, double the recipe and freeze for another day. I love to freeze a tray of chicken enchiladas made with low carb tortillas. This keto meal prep tip wins the “laziest” award, don’t you think?
8. Day Off – Plan ahead for a specific night off from the kitchen. Knowing you don’t have to cook on Saturday, for example, helps keep you motivated to prep the rest of the week. Write it down on your calendar to set it in stone. Be sure to tell the family!
9. Frozen Veggies – You can eat healthy by eating frozen too! What matters is eating your veggies, not how fresh they are. Stop judging yourself – You don’t have to be perfect with keto meal prep to achieve weight loss results!
10. Plan for “Me Time” – Taking care of yourself outside of the kitchen is the most important thing you can do for yourself. Though unconventional, this keto meal prep tip is likely the most important! Self-care makes you feel nourished in ways that eating never can.
Related Keto Lifestyle Posts:
Secret Keto Meal Prep Hack! Low Carb Recipe Icons
FREE Keto Newsletter – Includes a Starter Keto Grocery List