Prevent the Mythical “KETO FLU”
Is the keto flu a real thing? Or are you just having sugar withdrawal? New Keto dieters often experience an “adjustment” period. Dieters might complain about one or more of the following real keto flu symptoms:
- Dizziness or shakiness
- Leg cramps or other muscles cramps, especially at night
- Constipation or a feeling of uncomfortable bloating
- Heart palpitations or racing heart
- Nausea or vomiting
Are these symptoms some kind of hazing for keto? Actually not. This isn’t college! There is a difference between “detoxing” from eating excessive carbs (sugar withdrawal) and suffering from symptoms of electrolyte imbalance. It’s normal to feel sad (or even angry!) about missing those beloved carbs that comforted you for so long. You might even get a low carb headache! It’s NOT normal, however, to feel metabolic health problems like those listed above. There is help!
By maintaining balanced electrolytes, you will prevent and relieve yourself of “keto flu” symptoms. How is this done? First, you must increase your water intake to ensure proper hydration. Next, increase the amounts of daily electrolytes in your diet:
Electrolyte Supplements Ideas:
- Bone broth (exactly what it sounds like – the broth from boiling bones)
- Drink pickle juice – really!
- Consuming commercially purchased sugar-free drinks that include electrolytes (example, SMART Water®, Propel®, Powerade®, Gatorade Zero®, Vitamin Water®)
- Adding NUUN® sugar-free tablets to your water (full disclosure, I currently volunteer as an Ambassador for the brand NUUN® without any commission or compensation)
- Adding Mio® flavored electrolyte drops into your water
- Eat foods rich in potassium (nuts, salmon, avocados, leafy green veggies, and mushrooms)
- Eat foods rich in calcium (dairy foods like yogurt or cheese, leafy green vegetables, broccoli, fish, almond or coconut milk, canned salmon, shrimp, and peanuts)
- Supplementation of electrolytes via tablets (under the advisement of your doctor)
The bottom line is that you don’t have to suffer from low carb flu symptoms. “Keto Flu” can be avoided and prevented. Take preventative actions to ensure your body is cared for. Don’t let this be your excuse to quit.
Stephanie Laska is the best-selling author of DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Get Started Losing Weight While Breaking the Rules and DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Fast Food Guide: 10 Carbs or Less. New to the series! The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Cookbook: Bend the Rules to Lose the Weight.
Want to learn more? Receive free helpful blog articles like this – Sign Up
Need more support? Stephanie also leads a small group, premium keto support group on Facebook – for women only.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.