What’s an egg fast? Who eats just eggs and why would anyone want to do this?
An egg fast is usually an extreme dieting measure where a person eats only eggs for a planned period of time. Is an egg fast a required part of the DIRTY, LAZY, KETO lifestyle? That’s a big negative, my friend!
Why in the world would someone want to eat just eggs? While I haven’t done this myself, since I started my DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Facebook Support Group, I’ve heard this topic discussed among members, like, A LOT!
In my observation, folks voluntarily enter an all-out egg-eating binge for one of three reasons:
- Desperation to break a weight-loss stall.
- Guilt (of overeating, cheating, or of a weight gain).
- Punishment (for what, I don’t know, but maybe this one is best reserved for therapy).
Americans love a quick fix, especially when it comes to all things related to our waistlines. I’m with you on this one, sister. I would love to just eat eggs for a few days and make all my troubles go away. Unfortunately, even with a rack of cage-free yolks in my tummy, I don’t think this is going to work.
Here are my concerns about eating (ONLY EGGS!) for a period of time.
- Noxious intestinal gas! I fear for your family. (Okay, seriously, now…)
- Won’t you get tired of eating eggs? Eggs are truly one of the most perfect keto foods (next to avocados, in my opinion). I would hate for you to ruin an entire protein source by getting “burned out” eating excessive amounts of these nutritious beauties.
- Becoming physically ill from just eating eggs. This reminds me of a certain college experience I had with tequila. I won’t go into details here, but let’s just say I won’t be having tequila ever again. I imagine that eating plate after plate of eggs might have the same intestinal effect? Bleh!
- Most importantly, I worry that an egg fast is merely a temporary fix that doesn’t address the underlying issues. This here is the biggest reason of all. We can’t keep “egg fasting” our way to healthy and sustainable weight loss. At some point, (sadly), we have to put down the fork and process what is really going on.
Whether you are looking to shock your metabolism into ketosis or trying to reverse the errors of your last cheat meal, rest assured there is another way. The solution won’t involve anything scrambled (except your emotions!) as you figure out how to “course correct” your eating. Be patient and kind to yourself. Take a deep breath. Acknowledge your humanity and imperfection. The weight loss riddle is so complex that even Oprah can’t figure it out, and boy does she have the resources!
We are in this together, my friend. It may not be an easy journey, but I assure you it’s worthwhile. For more options to break a plateau, I recommend another of my blog articles: 6 Tips to Break a Weight Loss Stall.
Want to hear my entire story? DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Get Started Losing Weight While Breaking the Rules: How I Lost 140 Pounds. To further support you on your journey, check out DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Fast Food Guide: 10 Carbs or Less and The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Cookbook: Bend the Rules to Lose the Weight.
Need more support? Stephanie also leads a small group, premium keto support group on Facebook – for women only.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.